, ,

Sorry folks, I was working on a recipe for today’s post but it is being hateful and requiring more trial and error before the recipe is right.  Thank goodness that my fireman doesn’t mind me making the same thing for dinner over and me picking his brain about how it could be better.

It’s starting to feel like spring here in the mountains!  My tulip’s leaves are starting to come up in the front yard!  Although were still months away from being out of frost danger, my roomie, Katie, and I are getting very excited about gardening.  She’s much better at it than I am; her room is always full of a variety of happily growing plants where as I struggle to keep a few herbs alive and fail miserably.  As much trouble as I have trying to garden, I really like it.  Every spring I have fantastical ideas about a huge vegetable garden that produces more goodies than I can eat, and this year is no exception.  Seeing as this is my first full year trying to garden up here in the mountains, I’ve been trying to start some plants indoors in hope that by the time our growing season rolls around they’ll be big enough to go outside.

I came across two cool ideas on Pinterest, and I combined them to make a super thrifty, super cool, gardening craft project.  The first was for self watering seed starters made from old plastic bottles and the second was regrowing vegetables from your kitchen scraps.  (I got all my info from Black Thumb Gardener’s beginner friendly blog post  http://blackthumbgardener.com/1-plants-you-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/)  It’s a completely free and zero waste way to grow your own veggies, Check it out!


I’m trying to grow an organic mint clipping that Katie gave me (hers is flourishing in a cleaned out beer bottle, happily and hydroponically) and regrowing some green onions, celery and garlic.  I’m temped to snag a fennel root scrap, that would otherwise be thrown out, from work and try to sprout that too!  The way these work is that the baby plants can draw up as much moisture as they need via the string.


These are all the tools that I used, I think that almost everyone has these things in their house already.  If you don’t, it’s high time you got them!


I started by pounding a hole in the cap with the hammer an nail.  Next, I pulled the string through the hole with the knot on the inside of the cap and the string hanging on the outside.  Screw the cap back onto the bottle tightly.


Then I cut the bottle approximately in half, taking out a bit in the middle.  I screwed up a few of these practicing yesterday and I found out that a utility knife works well on some bottles and scissors works better on others.  Lastly, fill the base with a few inches of water, fill the inverted top with some compost or dirt and whatever you’re trying to grow and then nest the plant into the water, being sure to dunk the string in the water.  Easy-peasy and free!


I really hope this works for me, I am a notoriously bad gardener.  Maybe this time I’ll have some success. 🙂