Hey Y’all! Here’s a way to gobble up (har har) all those turkey pickin’s you may have in your fridge or freezer.
With all the excitement that football season brings, these are a great appetizer or finger-food dinner for when the game’s on. These little buggers freeze up great too. With my recent taquito obsession, I’ve been thinking of these chili verde turkey taquitos since I bought my Thanksgiving birds.
Chili verde pairs really nicely with white meat. These taquitos aren’t too spicy, the chili verde just plays a the role of great background music in movie, so that your tastebuds can focus of the wonderful shredded turkey, beans and cheese. Can you tell that I’m quite enamored with taquitos?
Turkey Chili Verde Taquitos
Makes 50 – cost approx $.11 per taquito
- 2 cups red beans – from 8oz dry beans or maybe 2 cans of beans ($.54)
- 1 cup chili verde sauce – I make this and can it when tomatillos and chilis go on sale for $1 per lb in the summer, but there’s tons of good chili verde sauces and salsa at the store that would be great in these taquitos ($.50)
- 1/2 lb shredded cheese – cheddar or jack would be good options ($1.20)
- 3/4 lb shredded turkey – ($.75)
- 50 corn tortillas ($1.38)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease – for assembly
- sour cream/salsa/guacamole for dipping ($1)
The first set of ingredients are for the filling, just mix it all together. Assemble your taquitos and bake at 400F for about 20 minutes or until golden and wonderful.
If you need more detailed instructions on how to assemble the taquitos, check out my earlier post: https://fullbellyfullwallet.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/pulled-pork-taquitos-im-falling-fast/