So, I’ve been officially blogging for a year now! Happy birthday little blog, hope there’s many more to come! Now, on to the food: allonsy!
I wasn’t going to post this recipe, but my fireman was so enthusiastic about it, I thought I’d share. He made me take this (terribly dark) picture to show how much he liked it…
While these glammed up hot-dogs were absolutely delicious and spot-hitting now that the season for game-day eats is upon us, it’s not my usual kind of recipe to post. It’s really simple and easy, in fact, there’s no real recipe involved. I hope you all like it!
Hotlinks with Sauerkraut and Swiss in a Pretzel Bun
Makes 6 – cost approx $.67 per serving
- 6 pretzel hot dog buns – I tried out the ‘Soft Beer Pretzels’ recipe from the latest issue of Taste of Home, and it was easy and delicious! Here’s the link! http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Soft-Beer-Pretzels ($1.40)
- 6 sausages or hotlinks – whatever you like! ($.99)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced ($.20)
- 2 cups sauerkraut – I canned up a bunch when cabbage went on sale around St. Patty’s Day ($.50)
- 3 slices Swiss, halved ($.65)
Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a large saute pan, melt the butter and brown up the sliced onions, season with a pinch of salt. Add in the sausages and brown them up too. Add in the sauerkraut and warm through. Split the pretzel buns and stuff with a sausage and some sauerkraut, top with a half a slice of cheese. Once all they’re all assembled, pop them into the oven to melt the cheese, 3-5 minutes. Serve with mustard, and maybe a beer. Yum!